Saturday, June 27, 2015

Just A Meager Volunteer

Disclaimer: this was actually written 4 days ago....

It’s been 4 days since I was officially sworn in as  K23 Peace Corps Kyrgyz Republic Volunteer. Life has certainly slowed down a bit since Phase 1. I have settled into my new home for the next two years. My mother is a 30 year old widow with 3 children. We live in the small Kyrgyz village of Epkin, which is about an hour marshrutka ride from the capital city of Bishkek. Since my big move, I have gone into Bishkek 2 out of the 4 days. The foodie in me needed some comforting and familiar foods. Never have I been so happy to eat a Caesar salad in my life. The past two days were full of muffins, salads, burritos, and Korean food. As much as I like the Kyrgyz food here, sometimes I just need a short break from the goat meat and potatoes. If any of you end up visiting Bishkek… don’t worry, I’ll find all the best places to eat. Story of my life…

 Yesterday was my first day of “work” with my organization. They had a “conference” with the activists from the oblast. So, my organization works with women in rural villages around the “state” by teaching them better farming techniques and business skills. Each of the villages that a part of the organization are represented by a local activist. These women met yesterday to discuss and evaluate the pros and cons that had been occurring in their villages. I look forward to working with these amazing women for the next two years. 


No comments:

Post a Comment