Saturday, June 27, 2015

1 Phase Down, 2 More to Go!

Clarification: I actually wrote this post a week ago, but was never able to post it online…

Let me start by apologizing for not posting or updating blogs lately. Life in Kyrgyzstan has been pretty busy… We had our Language Proficiency Interviews this past Friday and language classes had taken up most of my time. Good news! I passed my interview/exam! To continue where I last left off:

I believe my last post was about my new permanent site, Epkin. Since then, I have hiked a beautiful mountain (only 40 minutes away from my new site btw), met my permanent host mother, passed my language interview and climbed a historic minaret.

ISSYK-ATA:
About two weeks ago, I hiked Issyk-Ata (which literally translates to “Hot Father”) with some fellow volunteers/friends. It’s about an hour and a half marshrutka ride from our Rayon Center (village center?). Famous for its natural hot springs, springs and waterfalls, it was certainly a memorable and wonderful trip! We started the day with a 40-minute hike to a little nice natural spring. With green rolling hills surrounding us, a soothing river below us and gray-ish snow-capped mountains in the background, I was just in awe of Kyrgyzstan’s beauty.

Often, we see glimpses of these mountains and hills in the distance from our current villages, but once there, I was just dumbfounded by God’s beautiful creations. I couldn’t help but think and be reminded of how insignificant we are on this Earth. We, as humans, live and die… however, God’s creations live on for generations and generations. Moments like these remind me that the world doesn’t revolve around me and this world is certainly more than what I want and aspire to be. I was just a tiny little humble creature in the midst of such beauty that at the moment, seemed so large and majestic. However, even then, my surroundings were just another tiny part of a puzzle. 

Once we reached the spring, we saw a handful of people climbing near us to capture a better view. The adventurous side of me who has missed climbing decided that it would be fun to follow suit. After climbing approximately 30 feet of steep and loose gravel, we finally reached a beautiful viewpoint. Climbing down was even scarier than climbing up… but I made it back down safe and sound! When we reached the bottom, we were surrounded by a group of junior high school aged students. Most of the time, the Kyrgyz people ignore me because I tend to fit in due to my Asian physical appearance. However, when you have a few other volunteers with you who look as Caucasian as possible, we were taking countless selfies all the way back. After this hike, I don’t think the life of the rich and famous is one I’d like to pursue if it involves paparazzi. 

A NEW FAMILY:
This past Thursday, we volunteers, met our new permanent host families in Bishkek! It was exciting and nerve-wrecking all at the same time. My new host mother is 30 years old. Her name is Nargiza and she is the widowed mother of 3 children: 2 girls (11 and 1.5) and 1 boy (9). More to come on my new family once I meet them….

THE DREADED LANGUAGE INTERVIEW:
Last Friday, we all had the dreaded Language Proficiency Interviews. It is an oral exam to test our language levels and in order to continue our training, we needed at least a Novice High to pass. Well… I PASSED! Since I’ve never had an oral exam before and was being recorded, I completely blanked out and basically forgot everything I had learned. It was quite embarrassing and terrifying. BUT I PASSED!!!! YAY! 

A LOST TOWER:
So, it’s not really a lost tower, but it made you interested right? Right? A volunteer and I went to visit a nearby minaret that is a remaining minaret of a former mosque and fortress from the ancient city of Balasagun. The city was established by the Karakhanids and was once part of the great Mongul empire. The tower itself is now only half the original size due to several major earthquakes and was rebuilt as a result. However, once we made it to the top after climbing a tiny, dark, slippery and steep staircase, the view it offered was breathtaking. As usual… oh how thankful I am to be a volunteer in this beautiful country. 






No comments:

Post a Comment