Wednesday, October 21, 2015

5 Months Mark

If you couldn't guess from the title, it has officially been 5 months since I left home and began my journey in the KG! It's crazy how fast time has passed and now it's already fall and soon enough, winter will be here. 

There's been several ups and downs since I last wrote. It's normal, I think. 

I've started with my computer trainings which have really turned into FLEX clubs. FLEX stands for Future Leaders Exchange program. It provides secondary school students from Eurasia a scholarship and opportunity to study in the US for one year. I work with students from the 8,9,10 and 11th grades to help improve their English language and help prepare them for their upcoming FLEX exams. I visit 4 rural villages and therefore, wind up running around Chui quite a bit. Sometimes, this can be somewhat exhausting. Marshrutkas after marshrutkas, day in and day out. Y'all know how much I love those things. 

Aside from running around Chui, I just completed a 2-day grant writing training with my counterpart in Issyk-Kyl. I think I can confidently say that I will finally get to start on projects that does not include teaching. Don't get me wrong, I've accepted my teaching fate here and have actually come to enjoy it much more than I originally thought I would. I just also wanted to actually begin working with my organization. So, I'm pleased to announce that we will begin writing a grant for a business training for women entrepreneurship this fall.

Then in January, we hope to apply for another grant to buy solar fruit dryers for the women that are partnered with our organization. Through these dryers, these women will be able to sell the fruit, herbs and vegetables that they grow and earn money. Additionally, the products will also be given to the schools for the students as snacks during the wintertime when good and nutritious snacks are harder to find and more expensive. We will be able to train women and men on how to maintain the dryers as well as training the community and children healthier and nutritious alternative lifestyles.

I'm extremely lucky to have a counterpart who is truly dedicated to helping Kyrgyz people. She has many ideas and projects that I hope to help either at least pave the path for success or accomplish during my 2-year service here. While it may seem like a somewhat long time, it really isn't. Rather, it's too short of an amount of time. 

I think that even in the past month, I've been able to see growth in myself and in my faith. I truly appreciate all the support and prayers from loved ones back home. It has meant so much to me and most certainly, a fuel to keep on working in the KG. 


Til next time,

Lida







No comments:

Post a Comment